Global Positioning System (GPS) have become part of our lives these days. It is readily accessible from our phones and tablets via google maps etc. In fact, most cars nowadays are now equipped with it to enable easy and smooth navigating experience while driving. A familiar and often used word in the GPS is “Re-routing and re-calculating”. Re-routing occurs when a GPS-User did not use a GPS offered-route or turn along a destination. The GPS immediately locate the position of the user, re-calculate the destination in mind and re-route the user via another close route to the destination.
Just like the GPS does for us with our every day journey to our various destinations so God and His Holy Spirit guide us on our journey of life to destiny. We are often nudge by the inner voice in us to go certain way, to be nice to a person, take a particular decision or perhaps to study the Arts over Medicine, but then we get carried away and we missed the turn or route and we did exactly opposite of what is expected or right. We ignored that person, a relationship has been messed up or we choose to be an Accountant over being a Journalist. We did not create time for our children’s outing. We didn’t appreciate that beautiful spouse we had until it was too late. We have passed the turn and life has moved on. Then, we wish life can be like a car, we would probably turn it in reverse gear and go back. However, life is different.
Good news! Don’t despair and wallowed in regrets which we are tempted to do. All is not lost, our heavenly father, the life GPS inventor got this figured out! hear? His word, “I know what I’m doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for”, Jeremiah 29:11. He is the way! God has a whole lot of routes to get us to our destination. And if peradventure there is none, He will make a way in the wilderness. He is the WAY! This may look impossible and difficult with us, but with God, all things are possible. Here are a few steps to help you move ahead with the new route.
- Forget the past. Have you ever wonder why God created us with two eyes in front? It is because He as the master GPS knows the past does not determine the destination. ‘Do not remember the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing, now it shall spring forth; shall you not know it? I will even make a road in the wilderness and rivers in the desert’, Isaiah 43:18-19 [NKJV]
- Trust God. Trust from the bottom of your heart; don’t try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he’s the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:5-6 [MSG]
- Learn from your mistake. Identify what you did wrong. What got you distracted to miss the turn? Maybe you were too much into your work to have time for your family? Or too angry to noticed your child’s need. Do a review of this and identify what you would do NOW to ensure the same mistake does not occur and start working on it now.
- Stop the Worry! Worrying won’t solve the issue, it will only compound the matter. What has happened has happened. No need to cry over the split milk. Take conscious effort to stop worrying. A conscious effort to stop the worrying is to do something active like jogging, running or cooking. Take stock of the things that are working and are good about your life! This will take your mind off the worrying and make positive energy to flow in you to do better things.
- Prayer: This is another conscious effort we can make to stop the worrying flow. Don’t worry about anything, but pray and ask God for everything you need, always giving thanks for what you have Philippians 4:6.
- Thanksgiving: This is another way to stop the worrying flow, rather than worry give thank for what you have. Bring out a book and write the things you are grateful for in your life – take note of incident that could have gone bad but turn out nice or good things people have done for you and thank God for them.
Before you know it, you will be up and good to see the next turn God, the GPS’s master, is opening for you and bingo!!! You are at your much desired destination!
This song by Travis Greene summed it all
Made a way
Don’t know how but You did it
Made a way
Standing here not knowing how we’ll get through this test
But holding unto faith You know that
Nothing can catch You by surprise
You got this figured out and You’re watching us now
But when it looks as if we can’t win
You wrap us in Your arm and step in
And everything we need You supply
You got this in control
And now we know that
You made a way
When our backs were against the wall
And it looked as if it was over
You made a way
And we’re standing here
Only because You made a way
You made a way
And now we’re here
Looking back on where we come from
Because of You and nothing we’ve done
To deserve the love and mercy You’ve shown
But Your grace was strong enough to pick us up